This study was to examine the basis of ‘Cho-sun-se-bub, which was one of the oldest martial arts with Bon-kuk-kum-bub’ in history. ‘Cho-sun-se-bub’ was widely disclosed in the beginning of 17th century through ‘Mu-bee-ji’ which was a book of compiled tactics of China, and was considered to influence in Japan as well as in China.
First of all, the study outlined the culture of Korean sword and compared books of tactics of both Korea and China and ‘Mu-bee-Ji’. And then, the relation to and historical background of ‘Cho-sun-se-bub’ was investigated through looking martial arts before ‘Cho-sun-se-bub’ such as swordmanship or ‘Keok-bong,’ etc., and practical technique of ‘Cho-sun-se-bub’ was revived according to the principle.
The result of the study indicated that ‘Cho-sun-se-bub’ influenced to swordmanship of oriental three countries, and became a basis of international exchange, which was very rare at that time. It is an epoch-making fact in the history of martial arts. In addition, based on the practical technique of ‘Cho-sun-se-bub.’ Korean Kumdo can obtain a prestigious status in the world of international Kumdo. Also ‘Cho-sun-se-bub’ will be a significant basis in the history of Korean Kumdo.
조선세법 ( Chosun-Sebup)
By John Karns (NJ Sung Moo Kwan)
Chapter 1. 천 ( Cheon) – Heaven
1. 거정세 ( Guh-jeong-se)
Making high stance as if one lifts a big pot.
- Draw down, stepping forward with the left foot. Slice up and straight, and at the top reverse the sword to cut down straight while stepping forward with the right foot. Finish the cut at belly height, then flick while stepping back with the right foot (Twee-bo-goon-lan). Grip case, turn over and sheathe.
2. 과좌세 ( Gua-jua-se)
Cutting from upleft to downright
- Reverse the sword so sharp edge is up. Draw up and guard head from front attack while stepping with your left foot slightly to the left. Turn to the left attacker and cut down right to left. Turn right 90 degrees to the original front while bringing sword up over left shoulder and cut down and right, then bring over right shoulder and cut right to left (continuously). Step with the opposite foot on each cut. Reverse grip and sheathe.
3. 과우세 (Gua-woo-se)
Cutting from upright to downright
- Step forward with right foot in front of left, and turning to the right while drawing down. Cut up and right with the draw, circle around the head and cut top left to down right. Flip sword horizontally to original rear and while stepping back to the original front cut horizontally – 220 degree cut. Reverse grip and sheathe.
4. 탄복세 ( Tan-bok-se)
Thrusting the belly
- Turn sword over and draw sharp side up, flip over and step forward with LEFT foot and sword at center. Step forward with right foot while thrusting belly deeply screwing the blade facing right. Step forward with left foot while bringing sword over left shoulder, then cutting down to knee height from top left to bottom right. Step back right foot and flick (Twee-Shin), and follow with the left foot (slide back).
Chapter 2. 지 ( Jeeh) – Earth
1. 표두세 ( Pyo-doo-se)
Cutting the leopard’s head – Straight up to down cut
- Step forward with the right foot while drawing down, and bring the sword up to the right shoulder next to the jaw, blade pointing back over right shoulder. Step forward with the left foot while cutting a center straight cut. Bring right foot parallel with the left while thrusting upwards above enemy’s solar plexus. Slowly bring down to center and then step back with left foot and flick. Sheathe.
2. 좌협세 (Jua-hyeop-se)
Thrusting left chest
- Turn sword for draw and step forward with left foot while drawing. Draw sword to left hip and sharp edge out. While stepping forward with the right foot thrust the sword to enemy’s left chest (sword is horizontal not vertical). Bring sword up on the right side of the head to guard while stepping forward with the left foot, bring sword around the head and cut top left to down right. Step back with right foot, follow left slightly and flick. Sheathe.
3. 우협세 (Woo-hyeop-se)
Thrusting right chest
- Turn sword for draw and step forward with the right foot, draw the sword horizontal to the right hip with sharp facing out. Step forward with the left foot and thrust sword into right chest of the enemy. Follow slightly with right foot and bring sword up to Guh-jeong (high stance). Slowly bring down to center (Joong-sa-pyoung) while stepping back with left foot. Grip case and sheathe.
4. 어거세 (Uh-guh-se)
Sword at center position – pushing forward
- Turn sword for draw and step forward with right foot. Step forward with left foot and push the right side of enemy’s blade. Step left and back with left foot (about 45 degrees), bring sword down slightly then up (slide blocking) for a straight cut to knee height. Step to the right with right foot following with left and flick. Sheathe.
Chapter 3. 인 (In) – Human
1. 은망세 (Uhn-mahng-se)
- Step forward with right foot and draw and cut horizontally at chest height. Step forward with left foot and cut straight high to low. Pivot on feet and step forward with right foot and cut straight high to low. Pivot on feet to the LEFT side, leading with sword high over head to guard. Bring feet together and then while stepping with left foot out to the side bring sword around head and cut down top right to bottom left. Pivot on feet to OPPOSITE side leading with sword at high guard. Bring feet together and while stepping out with the right foot bring sword around head and cut from top left to bottom right. Step back with left foot to original front and follow with right foot to Jung-sa-pyoung. Sheathe.
2. 전시세 (Jeon –shi-se)
As if one spreads wings
- Draw low left to high right while stepping with left foot. Step forward with right foot while circling sword for another cut at the same angle as the draw. Slide back foot forward and bring sword to Guh-jeong. Slowly drop to Jun-Dan, and then step back with left foot and flick. Sheathe.
3. 요격세 (Yo-gyeok-se)
Cutting from upright to down left
- Draw low left to high right while stepping with left foot then step forward with right foot while circling sword clockwise around head and cutting top left to bottom right. Step forward with left foot and thrust with sword blade facing right to the throat. Step back with left foot and bring sword to Jung-sa-pyung and sheathe.
4. 봉두세 (Bong-doo-se)
Beheading Phoenix’s head
- Turn sharp up and draw, sliding left foot slightly and stepping forward with left as soon as sword is out, pushing left side of enemy’s blade. Step forward with right foot off to right side (about 45 degrees), cut straight down to knee height. Step forward left foot even with right, bring sword down and left and cut left knee to right shoulder- no higher. Slowly come to Jung-sa-pyoung and step back left foot for flick. Sheathe.
By Rhee, Jong Rim